Medical technologies and devices
Victoria’s technology sector is backed by outstanding talent, world-leading research institutes and infrastructure, and a Government committed to supporting innovation.
The state has great strengths in infectious disease and immunology diagnostics research including point-of-care devices which can be used to assist product development. Melbourne’s expertise and network of clinical trial providers also includes world-class facilities for clinical testing of new medical technologies.
Design and engineering capability
Victoria provides an ideal setting for the growth of medtech companies, with its combination of health and medical research capabilities, world class health facilities, a concentration of biomedical engineering expertise, a highly skilled manufacturing workforce and assistance for product development, commercialisation and manufacture. Building on a long tradition in automotive, aerospace, defence and general manufacturing, Victoria is home to significant capabilities in advanced, additive and bio-manufacturing.
Victorian design and engineering companies are recognised globally for their excellence in translating ideas into cutting-edge solutions specific to medtech and health industries. Victoria is also a leading hub for digital game development, ICT capabilities and 3D manufacturing for health related products, as well as being a major research centre in new bio-materials design and nanotechnology.
Victoria is home to many medtech success stories:
- DorsaVi has developed a unique Food and Drug Administration-cleared wearable sensor system that measures movement, posture and muscle activity. Its products include: ViPerform, used by elite international sporting teams including those in the NBA and NFL; ViMove, to aid medical and physiotherapy practice is used in Australia, the UK and the US; and ViSafe, is used to reduce manual handling injuries by the London underground rail network.
- MiniFAB, the leader in the development and manufacture of microfluidics and lab-on-chips solutions for point-of-care diagnostics, laboratory and in field applications, has completed more than 900 projects with clients worldwide.
- Planet Innovation has partnered with many companies to deliver innovative solutions, including the specially-designed imaging incubator, Geri, developed and commercialised with Genea, which allows scientists to observe developing embryos for IVF, without disruption.
- Companies such as Cogstate (cognition technologies), Trajan Scientific and Medical (scientific and medical devices), Compumedics (diagnostics), PolyNovo (burns and wounds therapies) and Universal Biosensors (point-of-care diagnostics) continue to expand and ship products to the world.
- Invetech, Hydrix, Planet Innovation and Outerspace Design are Victorian based companies with demonstrated skill and commercial experience in medical technologies. Victorian firms have recognised experience in not only identifying breakthrough technologies, but also ensuring commercial outcomes are achieved. For example, Grey Innovation is a technology commercialisation group which has transitioned from automotive and consumer electronics to medical technologies with products in vision, diabetes, heart failure and cognitive development
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices are located around the globe and provide tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your import business, and investment in Victoria. VGTI can also connect you with Victorian exporters and industry partners.