Victoria is the dairy heartland of Australia and the nation's largest producer of high-quality, naturally grown lamb, producing some of the world's most premium lean, pasture-fed beef.
With access to world-class research and development facilities, Victoria's meat industry is backed by advanced infrastructure, government support, and a range of policies to ensure the strictest food safety, animal welfare, biosecurity and environmental regulations are met.
- Victoria produced $3.6 billion worth of beef and sheep in 2015-16
- The value of beef production in Victoria has increased by 63 per cent since 2010-11 to reach $2.24 billion in 2015-16.
- The value of sheep meat production in Victoria has increased by 21 per cent since 2010-11 to reach $1.32 billion in 2015-16.
Victorian wool production was $751.2 million
- Victorian beef and sheep meat processing was worth $3.0 billion in 2015-16
Want to know more?
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices are located around the globe, providing tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your importing business. VGTI can also connect you with key Victorian exporters and industry partners.
- Visit the Victorian Government's Invest in Victorian Agriculture website to explore the competitive advantages of Victoria's diverse regions.
- Austrade provides information about investing in Australia's food and fibre industry, including detailed information on food safety.
- Agriculture Victoria, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Food Innovation Australia provide useful information and helpful advice about Australia's food and fibre sector