Victoria is Australia's largest dairy producing and exporting state (by volume and value) accounting for 80 per cent of Australia's dairy exports, which were worth around $1.8 billion in 2015-16.
Our strengths as a dairy producer, processor and exporter are supported by a supply-base flourishing in clean pastures, some of the world's best drinking water and a mild climate.
The global recognition Victoria receives for producing some of the world's most premium dairy products is backed by high food safety standards, strong local research, advanced infrastructure, government support and complete traceability of our production and supply chain.
Our world-class, innovative research and development sector works closely with Victoria's dairy farmers – ensuring the industry maintains its reputation as a mature, well resourced, well organised and internationally competitive market.
Victoria's premium dairy products include:
- fresh milk and cream
- bulk cheese and specialty cheeses
- whey and other milk proteins
- milk powder
- infant formula
- yoghurt, fermented milk and ice cream
- UHT and extended shelf life milk
- butter, fats and oils.
- Victoria's dairy industry has a strong export focus, and a growing presence in large and emerging Asian markets.
- Victoria is the Asia Pacific’s most productive dairy centre, out-producing other Australian states for dairy products – the state’s one million cows produce two thirds of the nation’s milk.
- Victoria’s large dairy food manufacturing industry produces a wide and diverse range of products for domestic and export markets, with a gross value of $7.7 billion as at 2015-16.
- Victoria's dairy exports were valued at $1.9 billion in 2015-16
Want to know more?
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices are located around the globe, providing tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your importing business. VGTI can also connect you with key Victorian exporters and industry partners.
- Visit the Victorian Government's Invest in Victorian Agriculture website to explore the competitive advantages of Victoria's diverse regions.
- Austrade provides information about investing in Australia's food and fibre industry, including detailed information on food safety.
- Agriculture Victoria, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Food Innovation Australia provide useful information and helpful advice about Australia's food and fibre sector.