South East Asia
South East Asia is a diverse and economically dynamic region. With a population of over 620 million – and the steady growth of a new urban consumer class – Victorian businesses are provided key opportunities to export their goods and services across the region.
Opportunities exist for Victorian businesses to export across a range of industries including:
Food and fibre
The growing number of urban dwellers in South East Asia is a key feature driving a range of export opportunities for Victoria's agribusiness. Globally recognised as suppliers of high quality, clean, and safe food products, Victoria's food and fibre sector is strongly placed to meet South East Asia's growing demand for premium quality meat and dairy products, temperate fruit and nuts, and wheat. Key markets include Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam.
Victoria's education providers are recognised for delivering world-class education services to students across Asia Pacific. Opportunities are emerging for providers to expand their export business as South East Asia pushes to standardise vocational qualifications across the region. Key markets include Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.
South East Asia's high demand for quality services to boost productivity has generated significant opportunities for Victoria's world-leading professional services to export their knowledge and expertise across the region. The development of Australia's suite of Free Trade Agreements with the South East Asian region will support market growth in Victoria's service exports.
- In 2015-16, Victoria exported A$3.5 billion in goods to South-East Asia, accounting for 15 per cent of the State's total goods exports.1
The South East Asian region includes:
- Brunei Darussalam
- East Timor
- In 2013, Singapore accounted for 35 per cent of Australia's business services trade – up from just 22 per cent in 2000.2
Discover how your business can export to South East Asia
- The Victorian Government Business Offices (VGBOs) located in Singapore, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur provide tailored market intelligence, local insights and guidance for your export business. They can also connect you with overseas buyers and industry partners in the South East Asian region.
- We're helping exporters tap into food export opportunities in South East Asia by supporting a range of activities including:
- the award-winning Now! In Season horticulture promotion
- market research into new fruit varieties
- grass-fed beef promotions
- the Dairy Scholarships Program.
- Events such as the Victoria-South-East Asia Higher Education Forum can assist education exporters.
- Asialink Business' Country Starter Packs provides a comprehensive guide to conducting business in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Explore an overview of the region and key trends by reading the "Why ASEAN and Why Now?" report.
- The Victorian Government provides support through a range of grants, vouchers and assistance programs.
- The International Chamber House (ICH) in Melbourne's city centre is a business networking hub for international bilateral chambers and business associations. It provides members access to meeting rooms with video-conferencing, flexible workspaces, and a function space for international business development events.
- DFAT STARS Database, based on ABS Cat No 5368.0, June 2016 data
- Growing Knowledge Economies, Asialink Business, 2016