Continuing to receive the vote as the world's most liveable city for six years is proof that Melbourne is still the number one choice in Australia for people to live, work and conduct their business.
Our vibrant, engaging and multicultural city attracts knowledge workers and businesses who continue to produce innovative and groundbreaking ideas for the global market.
Victoria is Australia's fastest growing state and Melbourne is projected to be the largest capital city by 2030. Key traits such as our advanced manufacturing foundation, and a world-class collaborative infrastructure with the state's leading universities and research and development institutions, continue to place us on the front line of the transport, defence and construction sectors.
- Melbourne's population is projected to reach over 6 million by 2031.
- Victoria's defence sector has an annual value of up to A$8 billion.
- The transport equipment industry contributes approximately A$3.5 billion to Victoria's economy each year.
- Over 230,000 Victorians are employed in the construction industry.
- Melbourne's world-class infrastructure includes:
- four deep water ports
- two curfew-free airports
- fast national broadband
- high-quality water
- reliable electricity and gas
- diverse educational, technology, health and research infrastructure.
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices are located around the globe, and provide tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your importing business, and investment in Victoria. VGTI can also connect you with Victorian exporters and industry partners.
- The Victorian Defence Alliances is a partnership between the Victorian Government and the Australian Industry & Defence Network – Victoria. The Alliances are made up of companies actively seeking to supply products and services to the national and international defence industry market.