Melbourne is home to one of the world's leading life science clusters, featuring over 180 global and local medical technology, pharmaceutical and biotechnology businesses – all highly regarded for their excellence and innovation.
An exceptionally skilled workforce, a strong culture of collaboration, and an efficient and streamlined regulatory approval process underpins Melbourne's medical and pharmaceutical innovations and advancements.
With world-class research and development facilities, Victoria provides a range of exciting opportunities for international businesses looking to benefit from our global leaders in the medical technologies and pharmaceuticals sector.
The Victorian Government's Future Industries Fund is helping to drive further innovation and growth in the medical technologies, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals industries.
Video: Medtech and Pharma in Victoria
- The sector generates more than A$16.5 billion in revenue, largely through global markets.
- A skilled and innovative workforce includes over 21,000 people employed in the commercial sector and 20,000 researchers working across universities, hospitals and research institutes.
- Revenues generated by Victorian companies have tripled since 2003, with a fivefold increase in exports.
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Business Offices (VGBOs) are located around the globe and provide tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your import business, and investment in Victoria. VGBOs can also connect you with Victorian exporters and industry partners.
- Austrade provides information on investing in Australia's medical technology industry.