Melbourne has been ranked as Australia's best student city1, receiving a perfect score in 2016 for student mix which looks at features such as a city's student population, levels of social inclusion, and tolerance.
Every year, Victoria welcomes over 175,000 international students from more than 160 countries to study, attracted by our innovative system, and multifaceted education system.
Our world-class universities, research and development (R&D) hubs, Vocational Education and Training (VET) organisation and English language schools all work in partnership with overseas providers to design and deliver customised education and training programs and services.
Victoria's education, training, and research institutions have a proven track record across a vast range of industries, which include:
- health and biomedical science
- agriculture and food security
- water management
- digital technologies
- advanced manufacturing
- urban design
- clean energy
- mining-related services
- creative industries
Discover why Victoria is an education destination by downloading the Guide to Victoria's Education & Training Institutions PDF, 3.3 MB.
Video: Melbourne, Australia for higher education
Victoria's education providers have experience in partnering with international organisations to deliver:
- joint qualifications
- pathway programs
- tailored curriculum development
- staff and student exchange
- research collaboration
- aid and development projects
- vocational teacher training programs
- consultancy services
- customised workforce development programs.
Victoria has leading capabilities across the following areas:
Research and higher education
Our universities offer cutting edge facilities, internationally engaged academic staff, outstanding graduate outcomes and access to world-leading research infrastructures such as the:
- Australian Synchrotron – world-class national research facility
- Carbon Nexus – carbon fibre research facility
- AgriBio – agricultural biosciences research and development facility.
- Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre – cancer research, education, treatment and care.
Vocational education and training
Victoria's 13 public Vocational Education and Training (VET) institutions and more than 1100 registered training organisations offer training that is competency based, industry led and quality assured to suit the needs of employers, governments, business, aid and development agencies and education institutions around the world.
Australia's robust accreditation systems are recognised worldwide and Victorian providers deliver programs in the classroom, at the workplace and online with teaching teams of industry experts who either work in, or have worked in the field they teach.
Vocational teacher training
The Victorian Vocational Education and Training (VET) system is underpinned by VET trainer and assessor qualifications. Our industry experts can collaborate with overseas partners to adapt these qualifications to meet the needs of each specific country.
English language training
Victorian English language teacher training qualifications are recognised across the world. Our skills and expertise in English language teacher training span all levels of education from early childhood education to professional learning and our English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) attracts large numbers of students from Asia Pacific.
- Six of Victoria's 10 universities appear in rankings of the world's best.
- Victorian universities have a broad research expertise with 96 disciplines rated 'Above world standard' in the Excellence in Research Australia rankings.
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our global education network is located in eight key Victorian Government Business Offices (VGBOs) around the globe. Education Services Managers (ESMs) (PDF download) provide on-the-ground support to Victorian education and training institutions interested in accessing new opportunities and growing their overseas business development activities. ESMs can also assist international governments and education institutions looking for opportunities in Victoria.
- Read about the Victorian Government's one to two-year strategic priorities for International Education.
1 QS Best Student Cities 2016