The food and fibre sector is one of Victoria's most internationally competitive industries. Victoria is Australia's largest producer of food and fibre products, accounting for 4.9 per cent of Gross State Product and in 2014-15, food and fibre products accounted for around half of the state's total goods exports.
Our global reputation as exporters and suppliers of some of the world's cleanest, greenest and safe food and fibre products is built on the highest quality biosecurity, safety and reliability standards, and strong environmental protection.
Victoria's world-class research and development facilities provide agribusinesses with key opportunities to be early adopters of cutting-edge technologies, most specifically in the areas of water management, food manufacturing and packaging.
Home to Australia's largest curfew-free airport and container port, Melbourne offers a world-class freight and logistics infrastructure, and with a long-standing trade relationship and shared time zones with Asia, proximity is a key driver for Victoria's competitive advantage in supply chain management.
Opportunities to experience Victoria's premium food and beverage products are available through a range of events, including the Victorian Government's Trade Show Program, Inward Visit Program – such as Food and Beverage Trade Week – and the Victoria Invitation Program.
Video: Food & Beverage Trade Week 2016
- Victoria accounts for 30 per cent of Australia's total food processing output.
- In 2014-15, the food and fibre sector accounted for around half of the State's total goods exports, with total exports valued at A$12 billion.
- Victoria is home to more than 40 food research centres.
- Victoria exports the most dairy (83 per cent), fruit (57 per cent), nuts (54 per cent) and prepared foods (41 per cent) compared to any other state in Australia.
- In 2014-15, Victoria exported 88 million litres of wine worth A$200 million.
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices are located around the globe, providing tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your importing business. VGTI can also connect you with key Victorian exporters and industry partners.
- Austrade provides information about investing in Australia's food and fibre industry, including detailed information on food safety.
- Agriculture Victoria, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Food Innovation Australia provide useful information and helpful advice about Australia's food and fibre sector.