- The Suzhou High Technology Town has established the Jiangsu Victoria Innovation Center in Melbourne with Victorian partners;
- Investments by technology interests from Shandong, Tianjin and Shenzhen are under discussion with Victorian partners.
Areas of interest for Chinese science and technology investors include Victoria’s medtech, new materials, agricultural technology, and new energy industries.
The potential benefits of such investments for Victoria are substantial as they can provide:
- A source of capital for research and start up enterprises;
- Collaborative science and research partners;
- Links with likely substantial generators of intellectual property (IP) in the future;
- Better links to markets for Victorian products and services.
The China Victorian Government Trade and Investment office network is working to identify Chinese investors likely to invest in Victoria using models of engagement most advantageous to the development of Victoria’s science and technology industry.