Victorian Women in International Business
The Victorian Government has been the most active state government in championing opportunities for women in international trade. The Victorian Women in International Business (VWIIB) initiative continues to promote opportunities for Victorian women to make new connections and develop partnerships to help grow their export businesses.
The objectives of the VWIIB initiative is to:
- increase the involvement of women in international business programs
- increase international opportunities for Victorian businesses that result in commercial outcomes
- upskill the export capability of women including cultural awareness and understanding
- reduce perceptions of cultural restrictions/barriers to engaging in business globally
- facilitate cross-pollination of ideas through networking (domestic and international).
To support Victorian women in their international business endeavours, the VWIIB initiative will partner with other like-minded groups and organisations to deliver:
- events in Melbourne to connect women interested in global business
- workshops and training programs to help women get their businesses export ready
- dedicated events for women during large-scale inbound trade missions
- a Victorian Women in International Business category for the Governor of Victoria's Export Awards
- the inaugural all-female trade mission to China in 2018.
2018 Professional Skills Development Program
Please note applications have now closed for this program.
Applications have now closed to participate in the inaugural Victorian Women in International Business Professional Skills Development Program. This unique pilot program is tailored for women who have been exporting for over three years and want to strengthen their skills and take their business to the next level on the global stage.
Today’s dynamic business environment demands that leaders be adaptive with their skills and possess a high level of self-awareness to be most effective in a competitive global economy. The Program will focus strongly on professional development by providing participants with real tools to help them deal effectively with the challenges and pitfalls of conducting business internationally.
Participants will collaborate to gain an understanding of the skills and capabilities required to engage in global business, and outline the key areas they would like to focus on during the Program.
Trade Victoria will deliver the Program in partnership with Melbourne-based training organisation, Women into Leadership. Taking place over four half-days, once a week for four weeks, the Program will commence on 4 October and conclude on 25 October 2018.
About Women into Leadership
The Program has been created, and will be facilitated by Women into Leadership – a market leading social enterprise helping to increase gender diversity within Australia. Women into Leadership works with progressive organisations to drive systemic change so that more females can achieve leadership roles, and stay in them.
Eligibility, terms and conditions
Before applying, please read the eligibility, terms and conditions for participation in the Program. Please note that places are strictly limited to eight (8) participants for the Program.
Attendance is compulsory for the entire program. Applicants who can’t attend the entire duration of the Program will not be accepted.
Who should attend?
Victorian women who have been exporting for over three years and want to strengthen their professional development skills to be more effective in the global arena are encouraged to apply.
To qualify for the Program, you must meet the eligibility criteria and terms and conditions.
Why should you attend?
The Program aims to:
- improve your professional skills to increase or sustain export sales
- increase your awareness of business capabilities in the overseas market
- improve your business networks or establish new contacts
- improve your knowledge and leadership skills
- provide opportunities for participants to collaborate and build connections with other high-level likeminded business leaders.
Trade Victoria will cover the costs associated with delivering the Program. Morning tea and lunch will be provided for each session.
- Thursday 4 October: 9 am to 2.30 pm
- Thursday 11 October: 9 am to 1.30 pm
- Thursday 18 October: 9 am to 1.30 pm
- Thursday 25 October: 9 am to 1.30 pm
Please note that applications have now closed
Want to know more?
For further information about the Program, contact Adrian Persi by phoning him on (03) 9651 9572, or sending him an email
Pan Asia Export Workshop
Delivered in partnership with Asialink Business, the 2018 Pan Asia Export Workshop kicked off the year's first Victorian Women in International Business event. Featuring an impressive line-up of keynote speakers, the highly acclaimed workshop attracted close to 100 attendees.
Discover more about exporting to Pan Asia by downloading and viewing some of the guest speakers presentations below:
Catherine Cervasio: Founder and owner of Aromababy
Catherine Cervasio exports and distributes her products in national Chinese pharmacies, duty-free stores in international and domestic airport terminals, and online through Kaolo.com and Tmall.
Sharon Thurin: Founder and owner of Slim Secrets
Sharon Thurin leveraged on China's increasing demand for healthy snack alternatives by utilising eCommerce to break into the Asia market.
Megan Mulia: Asialink Business – Director, Research and Information
Based in Asia for 14 years managing commercial content and knowledge for a range of top firms, Megan presented a unique perspective on women and business leadership in Asia.
2017 Victorian Women in International Business Conversations
Danielle Michaels: b.box for kids
Gönül Serbest: Executive Director, Trade Victoria
Kim Westwood: Shopping Links
Monica Lim: Aliceisback
Register with us
Register with us to stay informed about what's going on and receive notifications about upcoming events, workshops, programs, trade missions and our Victorian Women in International Business initiatives.