Victorian Business Ambassador Program
The Victorian Business Ambassador program enlists high-performing business leaders with a strong connection to Victoria to assist in promoting Victoria's trade and investment agenda, and strengthening the Victorian Government’s national leadership in trade development and investment attraction.
North America: Professor Ian Meredith
Professor Ian Meredith is Executive Vice President and Global Chief Medical Officer for Boston Scientific Corporation, a world-leading developer, manufacturer and marketer of medical devices with 27,000 employees and revenue of around US$8.4 billion in 2016. In 2012, he was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) for his work as a clinician, a researcher in cardiology, and his contributions as an advocate and advisor to public health organisations.
More about Ian Meredith
Ian is also a member of Boston Scientific’s Executive Committee where he's responsible for leading clinical and medical affairs and providing global leadership of the company’s clinical trial strategy.
Before joining Boston Scientific in 2017, he served as Professor and Director of MonashHeart, the Cardiology service within Monash Health and one of the most extensive cardiac care services in Australia. Ian was also Professor of Medicine and Cardiology at Monash University, and Executive Director of the Monash Cardiovascular Research Centre, also at Monash University.
Spanning more than 25 years, Professor Meredith's distinguished career as a clinical and interventional cardiologist includes:
- having performed more than 10,000 cardiac and coronary procedures
- publishing more than 350 peer-reviewed manuscripts and book chapters
- championing many new treatment paradigms into daily clinical practice
- being chief or principal investigator on more than 50 major international multi-centre clinical trials.
India: Dr Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw is a pioneer of the biotechnology industry in India and the head of the country’s leading biotechnology enterprise, Biocon Limited, a globally recognized biopharmaceutical enterprise committed to innovation and affordability in delivering world-class therapeutics to patients globally.
Dr Mazumdar-Shaw is also the current Chairman of IIM-Bengaluru
More about Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
Dr Mazumdar-Shaw holds a Master’s degree in malting and brewing from Ballarat College at the University of Ballarat and worked as a trainee brewer in Carlton and United Breweries during her time in Victoria.
- In 2016, Forbes listed Ms Mazumdar-Shaw as the 77th most powerful woman in the world (and 85th in 2015).
- In 2014, she was awarded the Othmer Gold Medal, for outstanding contributions to the progress of science and chemistry.
- In 2011, Ms Mazumdar-Shaw was ranked 37th in the Financial Times’ top 50 women in business list.
China: Ms Maggie Zhou
Maggie Zhou was appointed Managing Director (Australia and New Zealand) of Alibaba Group – a network of internet-based businesses for anyone that wishes to buy or sell products online anywhere in the world.
Maggie has also worked closely with the Australia and New Zealand business development team on Tmall Global and was in charge of overall government and public affairs for the platform.
More about Maggie Zhou
- In 2000, Maggie joined Alibaba as a veteran employee.
- In 2003, she helped establish Taobao Marketplace as one of the nine founders of the C2C platform.
- During Maggie's early years with Alibaba, she served as Executive Assistant to Jack Ma – founder and Executive Chairman of Alibaba for five years.
- In 2017, Maggie was appointed Managing Director (Australia and New Zealand) of Alibaba Group.
Maggie has worked closely with Austrade, showcasing the value of the China eCommerce market to Australian brands and businesses.