Victorian Business Ambassador Program
The Victorian Business Ambassador program enlists high-performing business leaders with a strong connection to Victoria to assist in promoting Victoria's trade and investment agenda, and strengthening the Victorian Government’s national leadership in trade development and investment attraction.
India: Dr Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw is a pioneer of the biotechnology industry in India and the head of the country’s leading biotechnology enterprise, Biocon Limited, a globally recognized biopharmaceutical enterprise committed to innovation and affordability in delivering world-class therapeutics to patients globally. Dr Mazumdar-Shaw is also the current Chairman of IIM-Bangalore.
- In 2016, Forbes listed Ms Mazumdar-Shaw as the 77th most powerful woman in the world (and 85th in 2015).
- In 2014, she was awarded the Othmer Gold Medal, for outstanding contributions to the progress of science and chemistry.
- In 2011, Ms Mazumdar-Shaw was ranked 37 in the Financial Times’ top 50 women in business list.
Dr Mazumdar-Shaw holds a Master’s degree in malting and brewing from Ballarat College at the University of Ballarat and worked as a trainee brewer in Carlton and United Breweries during her time in Victoria.
China: Ms Maggie Zhou
Maggie Zhou was appointed Managing Director (Australia and New Zealand) of Alibaba Group – a network of internet-based businesses for anyone that wishes to buy or sell products anywhere in the world online.
- In 2000, Maggie joined Alibaba as a veteran employee.
- In 2003, she helped establish Taobao Marketplace as one of the nine founders of the C2C platform.
- In Maggie's early years with Alibaba, she served as Executive Assistant to Jack Ma – founder and Executive Chairman of Alibaba for five years.
- In 2017, Maggie was appointed Managing Director (Australia and New Zealand) of Alibaba Group.
Maggie has also worked closely with the Australia and New Zealand business development team on Tmall Global – a cross-border B2C business platform for Tmall – and was in charge of overall government and public affairs for the platform. She has worked closely with the Australian Trade Commission (Austrade), showcasing the value of the China e-commerce market to Australian brands and businesses.
Maggie Zhou: Australia and New Zealand Managing Director of Alibaba Group